facebook Twitter youtube linkedin pinterest instagram

Thursday, November 28, 2013

2. Day one - Enter Israel and Wedding at Cana


I was about to experience something I always look forward to.
Exit a country and a short walk before you enter another country, pause and stand in no man’s land.

We patiently waited in queue to get the exit seal from Jordan. Short as it sounds, I was now moving from Jordan to Israel.

Neither Jordan nor Israel!
World without differences; owned by none.

After a stringent checking at the border we were to wait for the group visa to enter Israel. We were hungry, thirsty, tired and waiting restlessly. There was an announcement, a “high alert” situation and all cops and security running towards one direction moving us to the corner of the room. There was turbulence, uneasiness and fear in the air. I was too blank to realise what was happening, some of them sang out loud, some quiet, some praying. We were told later that there was an emergency situation which was taken care of. (We did hear that there was a vehicle with explosives found in the same surroundings)
But we thanked God for protecting us from whatever was to happen and affirmed that it was worth surpassing all worries to touchdown at the Holy land.

We entered the city after a short drive and headed straight to the church were Jesus performed the first miracle, transforming water into wine.


We regained our enthusiasm and energy as we walked up a stone paved street with vendors contouring both the sides. We had to take careful steps there as the stone was fine and polished after millions of devotees from all over the world walking the same way.


We entered the church and took our places and while we conducted the holy mass in Malayalam, the married couples revived their wedding Vows.

I sat down and read the below given excerpt from the Holy Bible :-



John 2:1-11 states that while Jesus was attending a wedding in Cana with his disciples the party ran out of wine. Jesus' mother told Jesus, "They have no wine," and Jesus replied, "O Woman, what have I to do with you? My hour has not yet come." His mother then said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you. Jesus ordered the servants to fill containers with water and to draw out some and take it to the chief steward. After tasting it, and not knowing where it came from, the steward remarked to the bridegroom that he had departed from the custom of serving the best wine first by serving it last.”

I visualised the whole conversation. The bond between the mother and son was evident from the casual conversation between them and how he resisted initially saying his time has not yet come to perform the first miracle.


As all married couples joyfully polished their rusted rules of marriage, I sat down and prayed for all women who deserves, but was declined companionship, turned down by some and did not accomplish togetherness, bad marriage, separated and criticized, single mothers and to all who were married and did not appreciate the pinnacle of the Holy matrimony. I believed that God will wipe out the sorrow of all who are going through the suffering.

As I always believed I prayed to Mother Mary to intercede and convince her son to give ear to my appeal.

 The altar of the church had 6 jars representing the jars of wine.
The church also had a display of jars from the similar time period. We reached the basement of the church with rooms cut out from limestone. I felt that I did not even deserve to step over stones Jesus would've once walked on.

There was merriment and joy in the air, some of them wanted to know the name of this friend of Jesus; to his house Jesus went to attend the wedding and the tour operator mockingly says “how do I know his friends?
We tasted the sweetest wine from Cana and also bought a few bottles from the merchant who happily poured out samples to taste for all.

My father was euphoric to get a certificate which sanctioned that they were re- married at Cana.

I was already jumping with joy but little did I know that this was just a prelude to what I was going to see, hear , touch and experience in the days to come ….

10 comments:

  1. This excerpt - 'I sat down and prayed for all women who deserves, but was declined companionship, turned down by some and did not accomplish togetherness, bad marriage, separated and criticized, single mothers and to all who were married and did not appreciate the pinnacle of the Holy matrimony. I believed that God will wipe out the sorrow of all who are going through the suffering. As I always believed I prayed to Mother Mary to intercede and convince her son to give ear to my appeal.' - keeps ringing in my mind!

    Well-written and I pray that the Lord guide you to joy!

    Look forward to part-3 of the trip-diary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minu, glad that you do keep a watch on my feedback. Frankly I got goosebumps when I read your line "I felt that I did not even deserve to step over stones Jesus would've once walked on." Nothing can summarise the experience you had better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much mahesh ,unfortunately the tears will bring down peace and balance

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks santhosh,Ofcourse your feedback is important and try to improve every now and then....
    as already written i wont even do justice writing about him and these places

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to knw u went on a tour...really loved the intention of ur prayer..may peace b wiith u always dear..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! Where is the rest of the travelogue?

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks Mr.P ive posted the third one today

    ReplyDelete