facebook Twitter youtube linkedin pinterest instagram

Monday, April 21, 2014

A Chapter on Temple Run

I have had friends threatening me that they would unfollow my blog if i write one more from the holyland series, hence this.

I have given in to this new addiction!
I guess it is the company of boys that I end up engrossed in “guy talk”, look at shapely women, grab a drink and eat large portions of meat. Well I guess my love for Temple Run was also a fever passed on by a colleague. I’m either playing a puzzle or logo game to the maximum and coming from a generation of children playing Brick games(9999 in 1), Super Mario ( ta na ta ta da ta ta... It still rings in my head) to Road Rash my fingers were rusted to be spontaneous enough for Temple Run.

Recovering from loss of a good companion, travel, housework and all my regular reasons of trouble, it was quite a change. I would cry out in glee even with a 2, 00, 000 on the scoreboard when my friend shows off his 1, 40, 00, 000 score.

I kept wondering! Is this a game for men?
They hardly think and maybe that helps.
I realised my concentration span was embarrassingly low. Even while typing this post I was thinking about Temple Run and while playing I was thinking maybe I should write a post on Temple Run and it goes on and on....

It is an assured fact that women will relate well to my declaration on over thinking in women. 
I think all the time!
What song was I listening to on the way to work in the car? 
What will I eat for dinner?
Did I turn off the heater?
When was the last time my maid cleaned the washbasins? 
What nail polish to apply and the lists go on.
I guess as women we divert our energy into these things and drain ourselves completely by the time we hit the bed. And when we lie down to rest, our long and vibrant dreams and nightmares start. 
I could just not concentrate when I played Temple Run.

I could not respond to the next thing that came in my way.
I kept thinking of clothes worn by characters like Guy Dangerous, Barry Bones and Karma Lee. All these distracted me, but I was focused. I attempted many times before I gave up. I passed sexist comments for not scoring high. I kept saying men don’t think and hence the high score. I secretly wanted to be freed from the thoughts that drain me of my energy and life. 
As I concentrated I started ignoring my background score and started following cues - jump, duck and dodge. And I did let go a lot. 

I started playing with objectives, giving myself targets. Run with head start, ignore coins. I found it easier to attain my objectives easier.
The same applies in day to day life also. After a hard month of work I would treat myself to a short holiday or spa and the whole week I would look forward to it. 

The ultimate goal of reaching the emerald idol did matter but not as much as the shorter easily attainable goals. I started charting down short term goals for myself. Short trips, meeting friends, making a new contact list and the pleasure of ticking each point on my list – Priceless!

Just one last observation would be that success is more frequent when you achieve your short term objectives but it is up to you to ensure that it doesn’t rule you.
Every time I hear “Woo Hoo” against my personal Best Score I get carried away by my success and give up. Keep this in check I guess we are all good to go.

Well I wasn’t just playing , I learnt a tiny lesson :)

My high score :)

8 comments:

  1. hmmm....i wonder what lessons i can learn from zombie hunter, my current obsession....anyway, after this post i realized that a lot of us have a bunch of screaming monkeys running behind our backs all the time....i wish we can dodge them as easily in real life as we do here....or even the rewards- the coin multipliers- come as often as here....but still, we have to keep running...no other choice...we cant press "save me" in real life and go back again, can we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. !!!!! U gt all these from that game!! I gt near squint eyes.. Ashtey!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Minu.. Most of the games we play are reflection of our life... As we all know it games are not about scoring.. But its about how we score... Of course the strategy we devise at each level to attain our objectives matters the most...i was feeling great reading by your script...N we gamers r at anytime focused on our tracks...keep going....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Minu - 'May each small victory and personal achievement that you attain, help you fulfill all your cherished dreams and goals!' :)

    A nice post on a wonderful life lesson from a game!

    Great stuff :) please do write - more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ganesh Thanks so much for your time and comment. You think i should try zombie hunter next ?
    unfortunately we have a lot of screaming monkeys in our life and less of coin multipliers. We are only given one game to win in life ! in a game we are allowed many "Save me" buttons :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @gils haha... i will soon be squint eyed at this pace

    ReplyDelete
  7. @kaushik thanks for your comment. Life is a game!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @mahesh.. thanks a lot for your time and feedback... will keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete